Game Idea Research

 

Source: We Heart It
Caption: Pac-man going towards a cherry and four coloured ghosts also going towards the berry


I’m really not sure which game idea I should pick, I’m undecided between my Game Number 1, the interactive story, and Game Number 2, the running game.

Although I really like Game Number 1 idea, I’m afraid I won’t be able to do an interactive story because, being honest, I had a lot of trouble on fixing the airplane script (I need to be realistic).


I had to do a bit of research on what is game mechanics, because if you recall on my very first post I’m not a gamer (I’m very very far from it), so my knowledge on the area is very little 😅 After the research I learned a bit about rating guide, a bit more about genres (I should have found this link a week ago, it explains the game genres better than then link I read to learn about it), in-game terms and some more things.


My game will be an Endless Running Game.


I made some research to find all the the games on this genre that I have played (I’m feeling old because it have been years since I played them!): Minion rush, Temple Run, Subway Surf, Zombie Tsunami and Jetpack Joyride are all the games I found.

All of these games have a simple storyline that is broadcast on the very first minute of the game; The objective: not die; The challenges very a bit: survive the gigantic monkey (or whatever that thing is), keep on running collecting coins/more zombies or running for ‘your’ life. The rules: normally, there are none.


My game will be a chef running to collect ingredients for the recipe, this is the objective: collect the ingredients. It most likely will have an E rating or E10+. The only challenge is to collect the ingredients before your adversary (the computer)


When I have more knowledge on Unity I will have a better idea on how it will look like, but so far I’m imagining it with a animation visual (like the Temple Run). The ambient/scenery where the running will happen will be inside a kitchen and the restaurant (like the Minion Rush where it scenery changes), so there will be objects from both areas on the game.





Readings:




Lívia Alencar

Comments

  1. Hey Livia, love your idea for the Endless Running Game
    Im not much of a gamer myself at all, not going to lie.. kind of struggling with the whole unity thing because im a beginner but hopefully its not too bad when making our own game! I really loved all the other games like temple run and subway surfer so your idea sound so cool, collecting coins and everything from the other games gave such satisfaction so definitely stick to that! I wonder what happens after the chef collects all the ingredients, do them ingredients unlock anything? what if there could be someone or something chasing the chef or someone else trying to get the ingredients? maybe it would give the players more adrenalin?
    Really excited to see how your games comes out, wish you all the best and hope you have no problems making it ! :) Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Livia, I really like your idea Endless Running Game sounds so good. Wow..... My first wow moment was really when the name of the game was mentioned endless running is gave me a wow moment. I wonder.... how you will be able to achieve this in unity. It think it is safest just going with the easiest idea. I too am not a gamer and will be going with the easiest Idea. what If..... are you still running with the chef idea I really like this you idea sounds so cool and I'm really interested in the final product

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Livia!

    I really like your idea of making a running game! I'm actually planning on making a running game too! I like how you decided to go for a different perspective ve of involving food and collecting ingredients. It's a whole different take to the runner games like subway surfers and temple run that I'm used to playing!

    I was wondering if your chef is going to be running away from something as well or he/she's just going to be chasing the ingredients? Also do you gain points when you collect ingredients or you have a different way of gaining points to win the game? I see a lot of potential with what you could do with this game and I'm excited to see what you come up with as you make it!

    Some ideas I was thinking of were, what if you give it another twist similar to the movie Ratatouille, where you have a mouse as the player running around the kitchen trying to get ingridients while an angry chef is followimg the mouse. Another thing you could add would be that if the mouse collects a certain amount of ingridients he's safe and can escape from the chef winning a level or points!

    Those are just some of my thoughts and I'm really looking forward to hearing making more about the game since I'm also making a runner type game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Livia~

    I love the way you did extra research before you choose the game you want to make because it really shows that you are careful on what to choose. It is also good that you know the limit of your capabilities and know which area you need to improve on. However, I also love your first game option, the interactive game. I think that it would be a really good game if you pursue it someday!

    Running game is also a really good start for people(like us ahaah) in making games because we already learned how to move the objects in in Unity even though the lessons can be a bit hard sometimes. What if you try to add some rules on your game? For example: if the player didn't collect enough ingredients during the game, they lose?

    I am also wondering what types of assets you would be using? Is going to be similar to the game you where get your inspirations? Are you going to make your own assets?

    Hopefully this will help you creating your game project! Best of Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Livia!! Really enjoyed this blog post! I love your game idea I feel you on the whole being realistic I struggled with getting an idea what I would actually be able to make! I love endless runner games, they really are so easy play in any situation! I think it would be such. a fun game to play, it's different than any others that I've played! Best of luck with it and hopefully I'll get to play it!! -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Livia!!!! I loved reading your blog post all about your game idea. First off WOW I love the idea of your game, it sounds like it will be a very fun game to play and I look forward to playing it when you have it finished. I wonder will the player be able to see how many ingredients they have collected throughout the game? Will there be a recipe the chef has the follow, what if the chef had to collect certain ingredients only to make the dish. So lets say the recipe shows a cake the chef will have to run and collect all of the ingredients that will make this cake and they could have to avoid ingredients that would damage the cake? This could be an idea to add to your game. I can't wait to see this game in action, I wish you the best of luck, Aoibhe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Livia its Mia here, I just read your game idea blog post and I really liked it. My game is somewhat similar as my game will also be an endless running game too. I think your game will be great to make as you already have knowledge from the unity tutorials that we had done in the begining of this semester. Also the chef game idea is so unique I haven't seen any like that in our cdm year. Hope your game goes well for you I'm excited to see and possibly play it! I hope you're finding second year enjoyable, best of luck this semester!
    -Mia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Livia! An endless runner game is probably your best bet if you haven't played games before. Temple run is very nostalgic so I can't wait to see the end product! I love how you done your research on it and looked at the goals, aims etc. I smiled when you said "survive the gigantic monkey". That monkey used to annoy me so much. I hope your mind changes when you have created your game. I used to play games until I started college and I just had my head down all the time afterwards - Anna Zurawska

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave your comment here :D